It was the growing interest in the South African market which led to the establishment in 1929 of Philips South Africa Electrical Company (Pty) Limited. The company first set up shop in Commissioner Street, Johannesburg in premises which have long since disappeared, supplemented soon afterwards by branch offices in Cape Town, Durban, Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth. The company was renamed South African Philips (Pty) Limited and moved its headquarters several times before settling down at the present site in Martindale.
Philips' business expanded locally and diversified to embrace the importation of many electrical and electronic lines, and local assembly commenced with radio sets in 1938.
After the Second World War, local production of consumer electronics products resumed and expanded to the point where in 1954, on the occasion of SA Philips' 25th anniversary, all radios (with the exception of small quantities of special types), were produced in the country. Other consumer lines were added, such as stereo gramophones, car radios and portables, culminating in April 1974, when Philips made history by becoming the first manufacturer of television sets in South Africa. The need for larger production facilities in order to compete internationally saw the closure of the television factory at Martindale in March 1996 and, later that year, the PABX manufacturing facility at Wadeville, Johannesburg.
Currently Philips South Africa employs approximately 250 people. The organisation has regional offices in Durban, Bloemfontein, Cape Town and its head office in Martindale, west of Johannesburg.